Monday, September 25, 2006

Group notifications in workflow

So you've setup EPiServer workflow and it's all working well, except you can't get email notifications working when using groups in your workflow, why? Well, it's because EPiServer workflow doesn't send notifications to groups, and I'm not sure why not.

This is a feature I have wanted for quite a while now, in fact since my first EPiServer installation. I sent the usual request to EPiServer and it's on the feature request list, but I can't see them implementing this feature as they are moving to Windows WF sometime soon.

Anyway, I have created an HttpModule that enables this functionality. It doesn't require any changes to your workflow, and basically enables the email notifications for groups in a workflow. The module hooks up to the task changed event so when a new group task is created in a workflow, my module then sends the email notification to ALL users in the group (the same email that individuals get). It then stores a flag in the task state to stop it sending the email multiple times.

It currently only works for EPiServer groups, but I imagine it could be extended to work with LDAP and Local groups also (I'll be looking into this myself soon).

If your interested then leave a comment. If I get enough interest I'll see if my employer will let me release this code and I'll post again where it can be obtained from.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - does Episerver do email notifications in workflow (i.e. if you assign a task like "review section content" and then set a date can you have it email this task to an editors email inbox?

I was under the understanding that you could only send a notification to their "My Tasks" within Episerver and they have to enter the My taks pane to have a look at it.

Jeremy said...

Yes EPiServer does do email notifications for tasks, in workflow and when created normally. What is doesn't do is email tasks when the task is assigned to a group.
This module enables group task notification in workflow but could also be modified to do group task notification for manually created tasks to.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, what version of Episerver do you need to be on for this to work? We are using it for our Intranet and I didn't think we could do it.

We will shortly be upgrading to 4.61.

Cheers

Jeremy said...

I have developed it against 4.61 but it should work against 4.4 and 4.5 version, will need to be recompiled.

Email me at jeremyn [at] intergen [dot] co [dot] nz

L said...

Hi

I'm very bothered that EPIServer Workflows doesn't send emails to groups, that's the whole idea, I think, working with groups.

I'm interested in your HTTPModule

/Lars

Jeremy said...

Hi Lars, please send me an email at episervernz@gmail.com and I'll send you the module.
Cheers.