Wednesday, August 09, 2006

EPiServer friendlier URLs

A new function that was introduced in EPiServer 4.60 was the Friendly URL function which allowed you to use path type URLs for your site. This was great news as it is a commonly requested feature from most of our clients, especially the government ones.

One major issue with EPiServers implementation was that it required JavaScript enabled - bummer! This is a problem for me as all NZ e-government compliant sites need to degrade gracefully when JavaScript is disabled. What this means is without JavaScript enabled, templates would no longer post-back, and basically all functionality would stop working :(

So I was excited to hear that the EPiServer research guys have created an update to the function called FUrlX, which removes the JavaScript reliance, great!

From my testing thus far I have found it works as expected, displaying the URLs in the path format, and with JavaScript disabled my post-backs still work. The great thing about it is that it uses all the current settings of the standard function and can be plugged in with minimal configuration and no need to recompile.

If your interested in this I suggest you check it out at the research site.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great, but my site fail to compile when i'm using this solution:(

Jeremy said...

I don't see how this could make your site not compile. You shouldn't need to add this code to your solution at all, therefore this should not require any compiling. The update comes as a single dll which you put in your bin directory, then register in the web.config and update the site header html page.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your answere, Jermeny.

I was a little bit to fast when i wrote my comment. The site do compile, but I my site fail to RUN:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Maybe this is because i didn't register anything in my web.config. There isn't anything about that on the project site. Could you please tell me what you did in your web.config to make it work?

Jeremy said...

Sorry there are no web.config changes required. You do however need to make sure you have the standard Friendly URL functionality installed and configured. There is a technote I think on doing this, otherwise check out the EPiServer forums as there are quite a few posts on how to get the functionality working correctly.

Anonymous said...

Hi again.

I don't know what failed, but something went really wrong when we upgraded the application from 4.50 to 4.61.

Anyhow; we did a roll back, and now everything works perfect:) Also the FURLX.

I really advise other to use this "add on", even if it's unsuported. Let's hope EpiServer include it as standard functionality in the next version.

Thanks for taking time to help me.

Best regards for a cold and snowy Norway:)