Tuesday, January 09, 2007

EPiServer as a Wiki

Lately I have been doing some research into Wiki tools and am finding lots of great tools that have strengths in some areas, but always seem to lack other important features, one of which is WYSIWYG editing!

We use a Wiki tool at my work that is okay, but is really quite slow (file based storage), has a rubbish search and with most tools, has a text editor. So I'm on the hunt for a better tool with the following functionality:

  1. C# .NET 2.0 with source code
  2. SQL Server database storage
  3. Windows authentication
  4. WYSIWYG editing
  5. Version history
  6. Search

I found this great tool last week called ScrewTurn which supports most of these requirements, but as with most Wiki's, still lacks the WYSIWYG editing (it is listed in the product roadmap though). Another thing it lacks is Windows authentication, but I think this could easily be developed using the new plugin framework they provide in version 2 (still in beta).

So this has got me thinking, how easy would it be to implement a Wiki using EPiServer? EPiServer supports all of these functions (minus the source code but not a big deal considering the ODA), but is not really designed for Wiki type functionality.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has tried to implement EPiServer as a Wiki or has thought about doing this themselves. What difficulties did you have? What sort of user experience did you try to provide (editing in edit mode, or editing on page)? Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Also, are there any other tools you have used that I might have missed?

Leave a comment or email me at jerms55 [at] gmail [dot] com.

4 comments:

RockViggo said...

If something comes out of this please post updates. I am keen on having some sort of "wiki" functionality in EPiServer.

Impressing that a company "down under" is taking on EPiServer!

Jeremy said...

Will be sure to add an update if I find out more information :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Did you ever figure this out? If so, I am all ears. :-) I need a "wiki"-funcionality for a company webpage but I don´t know how to. (EpiServer 4.61)
/Anette

Anonymous said...

Check it with Sofia Max.I know she implemented a wiki with EPiServer recently. Send my greetings.

You'll find her at:
http://blogg.sogeti.se/webbociationer/

Greetings,
Damra